Sean. 8th Sunday of Sunmartide. Genesis 16 vv 1-16 Hager.
- Scripture can be complicated and messy, because the people are complicated & messy. Scripture is not about ideals: it's about reality
- What does faith look like in a God whose promises tarry too long?
- Is it fair to say Sarah's motivation is due to distrusting God?
- She may be motivated to bring about the promised child. This was an acceptable way to establish a legitimate linage at the time.
- Sarah's infertility was likely painful for her.
- Sarah deserves our grace.
- Hager looked w/ contempt due to a change is dynamic.
- Sarah Mistreated Hager as badly as the Israelites were treated in Egypt later.
- Hagar - 1st person to get angelic messenger in Scripture.
- "Ishmael" God listens. God has listened to Hagar..
- Bad interpretation: Muslims us Jews. Remember Hebrew poetry - each line restates & builds on the previous.
- "Wild Donkey" - Ishmael will be free, not a slave like Hagar
- His hand free from everyone, everyone's hand free from him.
- He will live in. the presence of all his kin.
- This makes Hagar's response which more reasonable.
- Hgar (uniquely) gives God a name: God of Seeing.
- Paralells between Abram & Hagar.
- God's promise
- Promise of descendants
- Procure wife for child
- Naming of place
This isn't a pretty text. Glosses over intertility and a slave is raped & abused.
Hope for victims. God still listens and sees victims. We too should listen and see victims. We are a part of redeeming all things