Matthew 2 vv 13-23 - The slaughter of the innocents
- Contextually note that a recurring theme of scripture is the idea of the clash of earthly vs heavenly kingdoms. This is what's happening in this passage
- Jesus was born into a world where hideous despots were willing to go to desparate lengths to maintain power. In short, a world like ours today. We continue to experience life as a clash between kingdoms.
- Which kingdom do we find ourselves aligned with/
- Herod: Control, money, power
- Jesus: Giving, sacrificial love
- New year: what is God asking us to remove from our lives this year? (instead of add)
- Something from our schedule? budget? prominence in our thoughts/feelings?
- Consider removing big things from our lives. Trust God